“Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time”.
(George Bernard Shaw)
As an avid user of online services and of certain social media sites I have learned a few things about online navigation.
I have written a few times about how to save precious time and energy, and how not to get stuck within the online world. Believe me, I am writing from experience, and learning from it, every single day.
Let´s get straight to the point, just to save your time and energy:
Create yourself/your brand/your firm a clear social media/online strategy. This includes at least a definition and response to the following questions:
– Who am I representing? Am I representing myself? How am I representing myself? As an entrepreneur, or as an employee? Or am I representing a brand/company/startup?
– What am I representing? Am I representing myself, and my services? Or am I representing someone else´s service/s and/or product/s?
– Which social media sites will I use, and why? It is very important to choose the correct media in order to save time and money. You won´t want to waste time, money, or energy on sites that are useless to you. One option is of course to create your own social media platform, and as I have noticed, new social media platforms are being created every day, in almost every single corner of the world.
– How much time/effort am I willing to spend for these social media sites? How much time can I afford to spend online?
– Do I need to do everything on my own, or will I hire someone (a social media company or an entrepreneur) to do it for me/for my company?
– What is my target market/customer segment? Why?
– What is the best way to approach the target segment/the target customer?
– What are my core competencies? How do I differentiate myself/my firm from others?
– How do I measure the efficiency of my/my company´s online presence? Do I/the company need to invest time/money in some other kind of advertising, or is digital presence enough?
This is an insight into the online world, where new jobs, trends, sites, and markets are constantly emerging. It can be somewhat overwhelming, which is another reason for organizing yourself online, defining the amount of time you are willing to spend online, and the most important: being selective regarding your online presence.
“However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results”.