“FAO Strategy on Climate Change. Rome, July 2017. There will be no food without tackling climate change.”
Sounds pretty nasty, right? Read FAO´s updated strategy here:
FAO Strategy on Climate Change/Rome, July 2017
Excerpts from the report:
- Agriculture and food systems partly responsible for increase in global temperatures due to the amount of greenhouse gases emitted through agricultural/farming practices around the world.
- A global transformation to sustainable agriculture must commence at once since the effects of climate change worldwide increase and intensify.
- The agricultural and food sectors are at high risk, facing serious challenges in adapting to climate change.
- The negative impacts of climate change will affect ALL countries, although most severely in Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and Small Island Developing States (SIDS) in addition to areas with especially vulnerable ecosystems.
- Climate change endangers food security through: food availability, food access, food utilization, and food stability.
- The number of crop varieties around the world has decreased dramatically during the 20th century.
- According to predictions, climate change may become the main driver of biodiversity loss, including loss of genetic diversity.
- For each one degree rise in global surface temperatures, around 7% of worldwide population is projected an exposure of at least 20% less renewable water resources.
- Agriculture currently accounts for around 70% of worldwide water withdrawals.
Watch FAO´s Climate change mitigation in the livestock sector: overall potential, options and case studies:
Connect with me on Twitter @annemariayritys. For climate/environment-related posts only @GCCThinkActTank. Subscribe to Leading With Passion to receive my latest posts.
Take a step further to create YOUR online business. Learn more about the many benefits of how to create a beautiful website with WordPress.com and how to monetize your blog/website:
WordPress.com – Create A Beautiful Website
Jetpack – The ideal way to experience WordPress – Code-free Customization
WooCommerce – The most customizable eCommerce platform for building your online business